POWER MINISTER PIYUSH GOYAL ASKS ISB TO SET UP INNOVATION LAB, OFFERS TO GET IT FUNDED
Get Back to the society, That will give you more satisfaction, he tells ISB’s PGP and MFAB Students at Graduation Ceremony at Mohali Campus
April 12, 2015: Praising the management practices taught by the Indian School of Business (ISB), Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (independent charge) for Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy, requested the School to consider setting up an innovation lab to carry out work related to energy conversation, sustainability and even public governance. He could get the energy industry or the government to fund such a lab, he said at the Mohali campus of the ISB.
The minister was speaking at the 3rd graduation day at the Mohali Campus of the ISB today. 246 management students graduated from the PGP Class of 2015 and the MFAB Class of 2014 (Founding class of MFAB).
Stressing that each one of the students passing out today had the potential to become financial innovators, the minister said he would like to come back one day to see the good work being done by ISB to give back to the country. He also offered internship opportunities in the Government for ISB students if the School so wished. “They can see how the government works and perhaps help in financial innovation and practices, he added.
Congratulating them, the minister urged the graduating students to do something that will have a lasting impact. “Go back to the society and give some part of your life to it. Please do engage in some form of work that will also give you satisfaction”, he said.
Responding to the request from the Minister, Ajit Rangnekar, Dean, ISB said, “We are delighted and excited to consider the request and will make it happen immediately to the highest standards as always.”
Presenting the Dean’s Report, Dean Rangnekar congratulated the students on their graduation, urging them to go forth and make the School proud by becoming successful in whatever careers they chose. “As the School completes 14 years of its existence, and I, 12 years of my service at the School, I look back with pride at the string of achievements and peaks ISB has scaled. Establishing itself as a premiere management education institution, not just in India but across Asia, in just so short a time is no small achievement – be it rolling out new courses, establishing a second campus at Mohali, establishing new Centers and Institutes, and strengthening its foothold in management education in general”, he added.
Also present on the occasion were Adi Godrej, Chairman, ISB Board, members of ISB’s Executive Board, business leaders, faculty, families of the students and staff.
Adi Godrej, Chairman, ISB said, “With each passing year, the way academia, industry, government, MNCs and India Inc. have heartily welcomed ISB students into their fold, speaks of the quality that this institution represents. I congratulate each and every one of you involved in the functioning for the School for the tremendous work you have done over the years. Philanthropy is uniquely positioned to play a critical role in catalyzing large scale social change. Education is the primary area of giving and I appeal you to cultivate the habit of Philanthropy.”
Highlights of PGP Class of 2015
- 756 students graduated from the PGP Class of 2015 at ISB. Of these, 205 students graduated from the Mohali campus and the rest from the Hyderabad campus.
- Gautam Chawla (Mohali campus) and Rajat Dhanda (Hyderabad campus) have been awarded Scholars of Excellence for the PGP Class of 2015.
- At the Mohali campus, Professor Achal Bassamboo has been elected as the ‘Professor of the Year for Core Courses’ for his teaching of the course ‘Decision Models & Optimisation.’
- Professor Piyush Kumar has been unanimously elected by students from both Mohali and Hyderabad campuses as ‘Professor of the Year for Elective Courses’ for his teaching of the course ‘Marketing Services.
Highlights of MFAB Founding Class of 2014
- 41 students graduated from the MFAB founding class of 2014 at the ISB.
- Navdeep Singh has been awarded the Scholar of Excellence for the MFAB founding class.
- Professor Sunil Chopra has been elected by MFAB Class as the Professor of the Year for his teaching of the course ‘Operations Management’.