On joining, all students of the Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) at the Indian School of Business (ISB) go through the Leadership Development Program (LEAD). The three day LEAD programme at ISB is aimed at providing every student with an in-depth understanding of their strengths and areas of improvement so as to develop them into effective leaders.
During the LEAD program, the students are introduced to the ideas of leadership, derailment, personality, and emotional intelligence. The programme is designed such that it has a mix of training methods: classroom teaching, high fidelity business simulations and one-to-one coaching sessions. These methods are used to sensitise and develop essential skills for leadership such as effective listening and communication, presentation, team building, assertiveness and problem solving skills.
LEAD focuses on three key elements to foster learning:
The LEAD program allows students to:
- Assessment to help students identify their strengths, and developmental needs
- Challenges in the form of novel experiences to develop new capabilities
- Support by study groups and larger ISB system to sustain the motivation for learning and growth.
- Develop an awareness of the knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary to become effective leaders
- Identify key interpersonal and teamwork skills in order to effectively manage teams
- Leverage the diversity in experience by sharing feedback on their own and others’ interpersonal skills
- Observe and practise selected interpersonal skills necessary for leadership and teamwork
Develop personal and team action plans for success in the coming academic year.
Personality and 360-degree Assessment
ISB uses a validated personality assessment and a 360-degree (multi-rater) feedback assessment tool, which relies on carefully structured questionnaires to systematically collect opinions about a student’s personality and behaviour. At the start of the program, students are given an overall summary of the feedback they have received in terms of individualised reports. The feedback is used only for developmental purposes. Faculty coaches will encourage students to do the following:
- Explore their feedback
- Develop personal goals based on the feedback they have received
- Develop a plan at ISB to strengthen their leadership capability
The program also focuses on the importance of team norms and teamwork to better leverage the diversity in expertise. A high fidelity business simulation exercise is used to gain insight into an individual's behavioural tendency in a team environment. This game allows students to explore their team interactions and how it correlates with their business success in the game.
Post LEAD, students have the option to enroll in a variety of experiential skill-building workshops during the weekends over the first four terms. The themes of these workshops include:
- Business Presentation, Business Writing & Speed Reading Skills
- Technical Skills such as Excel, PPT etc
- Project Management & Business Analytics
- Primary research and survey development skill
- Business and Social Etiquette